Easter celebrates the resurrection of Christ, an event that most Christians believe occurred three days after his crucifixion. Many believers consider the resurrection the cornerstone of the Christian faith. These inspirational Easter quotes from famous authors and theologians help reveal the power and beauty of the most important Christian holiday.
Easter Celebrations in Christianity
Different denominations, and churches within denominations, celebrate Easter differently. However, some common religious elements of observance include sunrise services, baptisms, feasting and taking Communion.
The date of Easter varies according to the lunar cycle and the spring equinox, although it generally occurs between March 22 and April 25. However, Eastern (Greek and Russian orthodox) and Western churches calculate the date of Easter differently; although the Eastern and Western dates of Easter sometimes coincide, they can also fall up to five weeks apart.
Easter also represents the end of Lent, a 40-day observance of repenting and fasting. The date of Easter determines the dates of Lent and other movable Christian holidays, such as Pentecost.
History of Cultural Easter Rituals
Many springtime rituals stemming from Pagan fertility ceremonies have also been incorporated into the celebration of Easter. For example, eggs and rabbits both represent traditional Pagan symbols of fertility. Easter traditions like decorating eggs, egg hunts and the Easter bunny originated in these Pagan beliefs.
The word “Easter” likely came from Estre, an Anglo-Saxon spring goddess.
Religious Easter Quotes
The following quotes explore Easter from a religious perspective:
● “On Easter Day the veil between time and eternity thins to gossamer.” ~Douglas Horton
● “Easter spells out beauty, the rare beauty of new life.” ~S.D. Gordon
● “And he departed from our sight that we might return to our heart, and there find Him. For He departed, and behold, He is here.” ~St Augustine
● “Our Lord has written the promise of the resurrection, not in books alone, but in every leaf in spring-time.” ~Martin Luther
● “Do not abandon yourselves to despair. We are the Easter people and hallelujah is our song.” ~Pope John Paul II
Celebrating Easter with Inspirational Quotes
Chocolate bunnies and decorated eggs represent fun traditions, but one can easily get caught up in the commercial side of Easter and forget the deeper meaning of the holiday.
These Easter quotes make a great addition to an Easter card or a church program for an Easter service. People can also read the quotes simply to remind themselves of the transformative power of Easter and the renewing beauty of springtime.